Edmund Fowle House and Museum
Built in 1772, the Edmund Fowle House is the second oldest surviving house in Watertown. At the beginning of the American Revolution it served as headquarters for the executive branch of the Massachusetts government from July, 1775, to September, 1776. The Treaty of Watertown was signed on July 19, 1776, in the Council Chamber on the second floor. This treaty was the first to be signed between the new United States (represented by Massachusetts) and a foreign power (the Mikmaq and St. John's Indian Nations). Today, the Fowle House serves as the home of the Historical Society of Watertown.
The Historical Society of Watertown was formed in 1888. Many items from the collections are on display throughout the house.