John Cabot House
The John Cabot House is a Georgian style mansion built in 1781 during the Revolutionary War, and it was the first brick mansion built in Beverly. The wealth of the Cabot family is reflected in the architecture of the house, the beautifully carved paneling, and decorations such as the Dutch tiles surrounding the parlor fireplace. It would have been furnished with elegant furniture and decorative objects from around the world; a showplace to emphasize the success of John Cabot.
Today, the Cabot House is a museum of Beverly history and the headquarters of the Beverly Historical Society. Three floors of exhibits focus on local history, the American Revolution, and regional transportation history, including the nationally known Walker Transportation Collection. The Society offers tours, research services and a variety of programs.