Since 1994, the NEMA Publication Awards competition has showcased the best our region has to offer in museum publishing. As museums adapt to new formats, including mobile apps and other digital publications, so does NEMA, with more categories and more opportunities for museums of all sizes and types.
The Publication Awards recognize excellence in design, production, programming, and effective communication in both print and digital publishing. Each year entries are judged by a panel of museum-related professionals experienced in publications.
All NEMA institutional members are eligible to enter the competition. To enter, complete the application form (one for each submission) and send it along with the publication and payment to the NEMA office.
New this year! NEMA institutional members with an operating budget of under $500,000 can submit one entry for free.
The deadline for submissions is March 30, 2018.
2017 Best in Show
Publication Award Categories
- Annual Fund, Capital Campaign, & Other Development Materials (Created primarily for fundraising.)
- Annual Reports
- Books (Any non-periodical publication other than an exhibition catalogue.)
- Educational Publications, Materials & Kits (For use before, during and after the museum visit, or materials used to promote or explain educational programming.)
- Exhibition Catalogues (Any substantial, non-periodical publication designed to accompany a specific exhibit.)
- Newsletters & Magazines
- Marketing/PR Materials (Posters, press kits, event rental brochures, event/program calendars, membership brochures.)
- Supplementary Materials (Any other materials that inform the public about your institution and/or its exhibits.)
- Websites (A website in its entirety or a specific section [i.e. interactive exhibit page] may be submitted. Websites will be judged on creativity and design, ease of use, effectiveness, and programming/compatibility.)
- Mobile Apps (Digital publication created for use with smart phones, tablets, and other mobile devices.)